Saturday, October 8, 2011

BP3_RhymeZone

Hello again!

Forgive me if you are still awaiting a post on actual impacting music that is paving a mark in the soundtracks of ours and our loved ones' lives. I realized that I perhaps jumped the gun a bit, and needed to elaborate on the necessary ingredients upon utilizing music for social change. For my third post, I will enlighten you to the wonders of web 2.0 and how I will use RhymeZone for my Action Research project!

I was reminded this week in my ETC course that our school system was designed in the first industrial revolution, and it really is no surprise since our schools are still like factories, with our seats
set in rows and our faces set forward to "obey the authority." That in and of itself is a social issue, especially with society going through another industrial revolution! Computers and web 2.0
are changing the way we learn, create, and share knowledge...and we can see it through
the pictures and videos we post on Facebook. Web 1.0 was linear, and all about getting
the information from the producer to the consumer. Now Web 2.0 changed it completely, where
now anyone can be a producer of information!

Introducing RhymeZone (http://rhymezone.com/):

This is an online tool that helps writers find words and quotes effectively and fast, whether in the standard English dictionary, famous historic documents, "Mother Goose" nurseries, or even through Shakespeare terminology!


The many features of this tool allows one to write poetry, song lyrics, greeting cards, term papers, and see how each word is used in the context of famous quotes, poems, and plays. In addition, you can even participate and play awesome engaging games such as the Valentine Slam!



Games such as "Valentine Slam" greatly boosts critical thinking and literacy, and all in all, I couldn't imagine a better Web 2.0 tool to use in my professional environment to allow interns to create their own music with powerful messages embracing social change!






RhymeZone activates several of the Multiple Intelligences as well, such as Linguistic (the interns can creatively learn through the use of lyricism and written poetry, and understand just exactly how the words actually form a rhyme in syntax), Interpersonal (interns can collaboratively create an improvisational story based on the rhymes), and clearly Musical as well (interns can create an educational rap or song based on the rhymes they are shown).

...I thought I'd give it a go, and use RhymeZone to help me build a rap to illustrate the story of the wrath of drug addiction and crime countering ambition:

If you'd like to learn how to use RhymeZone, check out this nifty song!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1NfknPPjik

Til next time,
I'll share with you yet another cool 2.0 tool!



Shrav


No comments:

Post a Comment